Sunday, November 16, 2014

New Sonik Carp Fishing Reels

Update 11/22/14 : UPS delivered the reels 3 days after I placed the order at Carp Kit International.

I have been shopping for new reels for a few months. I started carp fishing with some inexpensive Okuma ABF-50's. I used them for two seasons and decided to move up to something a little better. I considered the Okuma Trio and Epixor. I like Okuma a lot, but I was hoping for something a little better.

Many may wonder why I didn't consider Shimano or Daiwa. I have nothing against either brand. Shimano is out of my budget range and most everyone I know has Daiwa reels, so I wanted something different.

Carp Kit International had a promotion today for 20% off all reels. I took advantage and purchased 3 of the Sonik 6000 FS bait runner reels. Here's a description from the website:

A superb new bait-runner style reel, with a super smooth trouble free operation and sleek black cosmetics. Supplied with two spools, they feature S-curve Oscillation for even line lay, instant anti-reverse, front and rear drag, balances twin handles, thick Aluminium black bail arm, Titanium coated anti-twist line roller and a 4.6:1 gear ratio, which recovers a full 87cm/34 inch of line per turn of the handle.  
  • 5+1 Stainless Ball Bearings
  • High Strength Composite Body/Rotor
  • Instant Anti-Reverse
  • S-Curve Oscillation for even line lay
  • Line Recovery Per Turn of Handle - 34inch/87cm
  • Balanced Rotor
  • Balanced Twin Handle
  • Titanium coated
  • Anti-Twist Line Roller
  • Thick Aluminium black bail arm wire
  • Free spool feature
  • Sensitive sealed drag
  • Gear ratio 4.6:1
  • Supplied with 2 graphite spools, capacity of mm/m 0.30-460 0.35-340 0.40-260/lbs/yds 15-375 18-340 22-225.
  • Reel Weight - 460g
Sonic 6000 FS photo courtesy CarpKitInternational.com
I got 3 reels for $258 with shipping included. The Epixors would have been $220 and change with shipping included.

Now I just need to spool them up with some Power Pro braid.

2 comments:

  1. Like you I am making supplies for next year. One of them is building a new net for my ranger net frame. It had a net with 1 inch or larger openings which is to large for carp fishing. Too many tangles.
    Now I am making my own net with openings approximately 1/4 inch, (I figure I will have to tie somewhere in the neighborhood of 48 to 50 thousand knots. Also have been making with making my own feeders, using picture hanging wire and a product called steel stick, plus any other thing I can find to work with, which includes melting lead for putting lead directly on the feeder. Also found that a deer blind is handy for fishing on colder days, (shelter from the wind and also provides a privacy spot so you don't have to leave your gear. Am thinking of trying to make one that is a little better than the one I bought. Lots of plans for this year. Like you I got hooked last year and I too plan on helping others learn about carp fishing. Was amazed at the number of people that stopped to ask about the equipment we use. Hope to see you again in the spring, and hope it comes soon.
    Chuck Denison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chuck. That is a lot of knots to tie. I bought a Ranger net, but luckily it has the rubberized netting that is about 3/8 of an inch. I think it's neat that you make a lot of your own equipment. If I only had more time....Until then I'll have to keep spending money with various vendors to meet my goals I guess. I am sure we will see each other this spring at some of the local venues. I can't wait for warmer weather and I can't wait to get out an do some carp fishing!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting. I have turned on moderation for comments to prevent spam. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible.