Sunday, April 27, 2014

Hines Park Drive - Wayne County Michigan

Although I am relatively new to the pursuit, I enjoy fishing for carp. I also enjoy searching for new spots to fish for carp.

Today I headed out to Newburgh Lake on Hines Park Drive near Livonia, MI.




We arrived at 8:15 a.m. and picked our spot at Sumac Point. The sun was rising and everything was looking up. But it didn't last long. Before long a couple of white ducks decided to enter the water near where we'd set up. It was kind of cute actually. They wouldn't go into the water more than a few feet, but deep enough to take a quick bath.

Then a few more white ducks appeared and headed toward the water. Before long it was a full on white duck party. There was frolic, havoc, and every other kind of duck-party-time right in front of my rod pod. It didn't take long for several of the ducks to wrap themselves in my braided fishing line. I was able to untangle things very quickly, but I had to recast all three rods.
Our spot at Newburgh Lake

My fishing partner thought it was pretty cold Sunday morning

Then the Canadian geese decided to join the party. They were dive bombing the water right in front the rod pod and managed to tangle themselves as well. Again, I had to untangle them and recast.

After this happened a third time, I had had more than enough. We left Newburgh Lake and headed to Nankin Lake a short distance away.



Water levels on Nankin Lake are very low currently. Overall it's a smaller lake than Newburgh and not as deep. There are points on Nankin that I could have walked across with ease. I found some deeper water toward the spillway and cast all 3 rods.

It didn't take long for the first activity. Within 10 minutes the middle line alarm went off. I headed toward the rod pod to pick up the rod and fight my first Nankin Lake carp. But just as quickly, the alarm went silent - no fish.

I don't know for sure whether it was a carp, a catfish or something else, but it was definitely something. A fish thing.

Our set-up at Nankin Lake

We stayed at Nankin for another 3 hours. The sun hid behind the clouds for most of the time and wind blew at what seemed like supersonic speeds (well maybe not that fast) - enough to freeze my buns off. We decided to throw in the towel and call it a day.

4 comments:

  1. I use to fish for carp there in 2005-2007.The place was swarming with carp. I saw kids back then catching carp with bread on floaties. One after another. This year I went there two times, stayed almost a day each time, switched a lot of places. Not a single bite. I have never seen anything like it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been back lately, but the first time out was a bust for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three years ago I fished there. It was in may, and I was surprised at the size of these fish. I tried for weeks and got one bite that snapped my line. But at times I was close enough to grab one of these carp. I think a bow would work better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried that spot again, but maybe I should. I prefer to catch and release them on a hook and line.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I have turned on moderation for comments to prevent spam. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible.