Saturday, February 14, 2015

Making Better Photos of Your Big Carp

I took a lot of grief for this picture. Linda caught the fish, but she isn't comfortable posing them for the camera. I held the fish so she could get a picture of her 24 pound personal best catch, but I didn't do the fish justice.

Opportunity
 
 
A few people on one of the fishing forums actually questioned whether we were fudging on the weight a little bit. Of course not, but after studying the picture a little bit I do understand why someone might wonder.
 
I had my fingers too far forward and they distracted from the size of the fish. Some find the background a little distracting as well. A nice background draws the eyes to the fish and not the peripheral items in the picture like the van and pick-up truck. The lighting is also a little off. A quarter turn toward the sunlight would have put more light on the front 1/3 of the fish which is where most of the mass and size comes from. It's not something I paid much attention to until that day. Most of the time catching the fish was satisfaction enough, but I need to improve.
 
For the remaining part of the fishing season I tried to pay more attention to a proper pose and I did get better at it.
 
Better

The fish in the second picture is much smaller, but my fingers are farther back and it allows the eyes to focus more on the fish and not my fat fingers. One thing though about this picture that would have improved it much more - some water to rinse off the fish and to clean up the blood around the lips.

The background is better than in the top picture, but there is still room for improvement.

I started keeping a small amount of water near the unhooking mat. It helps clean up the fish and aids recovery time for the fish too. It's very important on hot summer days as well to wet the mat a little before laying a fish down on it.


Almost there

Although not perfect yet, this picture is better in my opinion. The background and lighting are much better; and I am almost happy with the position of my hands and fingers. But I still need to work on how to position my hand near the rear of the fish.

My biggest fish in 2 seasons of fishing for carp weighed 26 pounds, but I'm hopeful to hook a 30 pounder this season. When I do I hope I don't ruin the picture by an improper pose that fails to do the fish justice when photographed. A proper fish deserves a proper photo to memorialize the moment.

I am not saying my way is the only way and it's definitely not the best way, but hopefully it will help you consider ways to improve your own fishing photos this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I have turned on moderation for comments to prevent spam. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible.