Sunday, July 31, 2016

My 299th Post on Blog About Carp Fishing in Michigan

I noticed today that my blog is nearing 300 posts. Not every single post is related specifically to catch and release carp fishing, but 95% or more of them probably are. And my plan is to keep it that way in the future.

Releasing a mid-teens fish earlier this spring
When I started the blog around the Christmas Holidays in late 2013 and early 2014 I had high hopes. I had visions that my site would become a popular spot for new comers to learn about and ask questions about carp fishing in Michigan. I had plans to include guest interviews, guest posts and that the blog would become a vehicle to improve the social aspects of fishing for carp in Michigan.

I have made more headway toward some of those goals compared to others. I will leave it up to the few regular readers who read my articles to draw their own conclusions about the good, the bad and the ugly in the blog's content. I write about my experiences with carp fishing and include my personal thoughts about it. I share tips that might help others shorten their learning curve and begin to enjoy more catches and reduce dreaded "blanks" and "skunks" aka "days with zero carp caught".

In the beginning my excitement for carp fishing was fueled by a local group of carp anglers who target common and mirror carp exclusively when they fish. Large catfish are greeted with disdain when they are hooked instead of carp; because they are not the fish being targeted (and because they do not fight like a big carp does).

I used to post about specific venues with pictures of my spots with excitement. My goal was to share my enjoyment for catch and release carp fishing with anyone who would listen. Some felt I was too generous with the information being shared and told me so. I received messages on Facebook and read references on other carp fishing sites about "freely" sharing fishing information, so I have dialed it back a little to maintain harmony. But I do still share information with those who ask me for help and I do still post pictures of my fish without blurring the backgrounds or using a photo editing software to completely change the backgrounds (yes, people actually do this). And in the interest of promoting catch and release carp fishing in Michigan; and encouraging others to do the same I will continue to do so in the future.


The morning view from a local venue
I don't fish for money, fame or sponsorships, but if any of the three came my way I would gladly accept it. However, I will not change my outlook about fishing. It's for everyone and not just a select few who "are in the know".

I fish for enjoyment. It's therapeutic in a way because I can get out of the house and enjoy the outdoors away from the internet, Facebook, discussion forms...and this time of year...away from all the negative "he said" / "she said" of the political election process.

I write for enjoyment and to help others learn. Along the way I hope a few people decide to give carp fishing a try because that is the only way negative attitudes about common carp, which have been naturalized in the United States for almost 150 years, will change.

For me carp fishing is a social experience and I plan to keep it that way.

To paraphrase novelist James Lee Burke:

If a person [fishes] for money or success, he will probably have neither. If he [fishes] for the love of his art and the world and humanity, money and success will find him down the line. In the meantime he must work everyday at his craft, either at his [fishing spot] or in his mind and sometimes in his sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I have turned on moderation for comments to prevent spam. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible.