Sunday, October 2, 2016

Trying Another New Carp Fishing Spot

When it comes to carp fishing I am lucky to live in Michigan, a state with hundreds if not thousands of public lakes, rivers, creeks and ponds that have a strong population of common carp. Friday and Saturday I decided to try out  a new spot and expand my carp fishing horizons a little more.

I waited all week with anticipation of fishing on Friday afternoon. It rained almost daily last week so fishing on Friday required a willingness to get a little wet. But with some preparation rain can be your friend. The spot we fished normally has tons of boat traffic and tons of other fishermen to contend with. With the chances of rain at 100% and some of it quite heavy, we had the venue to ourselves.


We weren't able to pull any fish from the spot on Friday, but it was nice to check it out and get a feeling for it in preparations of returning on Saturday morning.


As you can see from this picture, fall has arrived and the leaves are beginning to turn. In years past that has improved chances to catch some very high quality carp in October. Hopefully that trend will also hold in 2016.

I had to improvise a spot to mount the alarms, but using a couple of Zip Ties did the trick.

We arrived at 7 a.m. and were set up and fishing by 8 a.m. I had a fish on by 8:30 a.m., but suffered a hook pull. It was a welcome hook pull this time because it meant there were carp in the swim.


A short while later I caught my first carp for the day during a period of cloud cover.


When the weather turned toward sunshine and the wind died down the carp activity increased significantly. In a period of 2 hours there were 7 or 8 carp caught in succession between my fishing partner and I.


Those last two pictures are the same fish posed slightly differently in an attempt to best show the quality of this highly typical Lake Erie carp.

We fished until 3:15 p.m. and the bite slowed significantly, but time was spent educating many, many visitors and site seekers about the tackle, rigs, hooks and baits we used to catch carp. I was very happy about the level of interest from the public and see it as an encouraging sign for the future. The more interest developed for carp fishing, the better it is for carp fishermen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I have turned on moderation for comments to prevent spam. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible.