Sunday, July 16, 2017

Trip to Genesee County, Car Trouble and the Case of the Missing Fishing Spot

I took a vacation day on Friday to meet a carp fishing friend at a new spot in Genesee County that we wanted to try. I scouted the spot via YouTube and a tip from this blog about the potential to catch some quality carp.

I left the house at 4:15 a.m., drove 95 miles to Davison MI and just as I was pulling off the exit on I-69 I heard a noise emanating from underneath the rear of the 13-year old Explorer that did not sound normal, so I pulled into a shopping center.

It was still dark and all 4 tires were up, so I ventured on. My reasoning was that at least I'd be with someone I knew and who had transportation just in case it was something serious.

I continued on following the GPS directions and ended up in a sub-division. What !@#$?

To make a long story short, I ended up calling for a tow truck. After 2 hours at the Ford dealer in Lapeer for $275 worth of new lug nuts and wheel studs I was back on the road.

Again I went to Google and used the GPS on my phone, but it took me back to the sub-division.

Ticked off and tired of driving in circles I decided to head back home - 95 miles from Davison to Belleville. Halfway home it occurred to me - Google had the wrong address.

I called the Genesee County Parks Office. I'll be honest and say that I was expecting a little sympathy from the parks department and even an apology for the mix up with the address.

The gentleman on the phone didn't have any sympathy whatsoever and responded to my suggestion to update the address on Google with the correct address with - "Well, we have no control over that. The locals would just know." He did, however; give me the correct street address, which was on a totally different street about 3/4 a mile from the point where I had my vehicle towed.

I forgot to mention that the county employee at the boat ramp I talked to gave me incorrect information as well. The man on the phone didn't even respond to that point at all.

Next time I'm scouting a new spot 95 miles from home, I'll drive a different vehicle and call ahead to confirm the address. (I can almost laugh about it now, but believe me when I tell you I was not laughing on Friday.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I have turned on moderation for comments to prevent spam. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible.