Sunday, October 30, 2022

Personal Best Detroit River Carp

I've been focused on catching a new personal best Detroit River carp this year. In fact, for the past 3 years, I've been on a quest to catch big carp from the Detroit River. My goal of 30 pounds is now within reach.

In early summer of 2021 I landed a 26 pounder. Yesterday I bested that carp by a pound and a half! 

Personal Best Detroit River Carp

Out of the thick, morning fog, and in 34 degree temperatures, this 27 lb 8 oz entered the landing net. 

This fish took the hook bait timidly at first, but immediately bolted for the main river channel once I tightened the drag on my reel and lifted up on the rod.

A few minutes earlier we landed this nice catfish.

Detroit River Catfish

You never know what you might catch when fishing the Detroit River. There are good chances to land any of about 15 to 20 species of fish with catfish, carp, walleye, sheepshead, silver bass, perch, rock bass, smallmouth bass, pike, muskie and more are readily available. 

I met a gentleman who caught a 7' sturgeon while catfishing from a popular public pier. The gentleman stood 6'6 and the sturgeon was significantly longer (taller) as lay next to it. 

Note: If you do catch a sturgeon carefully land it and return it to the water quickly. Targeting sturgeon in Michigan has regulations governing that activity. Become familiar with those guidelines.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I have turned on moderation for comments to prevent spam. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible.