Sunday, September 10, 2023

New Detroit River Personal Best

I just caught my new Detroit River PB this morning. I've been on a 4 year quest to land a 30+ pounder from the river. Keep in mind that I'm a show-up-and-fish-person. And, I primarily fish from 6 a.m. to about 3 p.m. on Saturday when the public parks are most accessible. 

I do not prebait, I don't fish where it's posted "no fishing", I dont have access to private land, use a kayak, have a personal home on the river, nor do I rent homes on the river so I can fish from the backyard for a few days. I fish from public parks about 12 to 13 times per year that are accessible to anyone and everyone (for a free admission).




I say this to emphasize that literally anyone with a desire, patience, and a little practice can catch large fish.

I've never understood fishing for small 1 or 2 pound (or even smaller) bass, catfish, or walleye like so many I see kept on stringers every week. It's just not my thing. I want to catch the larger, harder charging fish, if possible.

Pop over to YouTube. Search for "how to tie a hair rig for carp fishing" and go for it.

The common size carp around here is 12 to 14 pounds with an occasional 20 - 22 pounder landed a few times per month. So when I hooked into this Detroit River monster wannabee this morning I got pretty excited. 

This strong swimming river fish gets me as close as possible to 30 pounds without actually doing it. At 29 pounds and some ounces this fish got my hopes up for awhile and took some effort to land in the net (thanks Bill).

I'm not through for 2023. There's still time for the 30# in September and October, but this wonderful fish will help tide me over until it happens. I hope to see you out on the bank, pier, or riverwalk soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I have turned on moderation for comments to prevent spam. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible.