Sunday, December 27, 2015

Making Homemade Carp Boilies

Update:

I wrote the original version of this post last spring to document my first experimental attempts to make homemade boilies. Following several days of traveling during the holiday season I plan to start making boilies for the upcoming spring carp fishing season.

I will use the recipe below in addition to some new ideas that I have come up with, but hot peppers are going to play a big role in my ongoing boilie making and carp fishing efforts. I am going to continue with the sesame oil and also incorporate peanut powder and some other items I've been reading about during the off season.

Original post:

I have read through the articles Mario Kok writes for the Carp Angler's Group and will use his basic recipe suggestions for my own attempt at carp boilie making.




Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup corn meal
  • 1 1/4 cup wheat flour
  • 6 jalapenos
  • 3 habaneros
  • 2 TBSP cayenne powder
  • 1 TBSP white pepper powder
  • 2 whole eggs
  • 2 TBSP sesame oil
  • 2 TBSP Southern Comfort

  • 1. I sliced up jalapenos and habaneros, added the sesame oil to a sauce pan and then fried the peppers for about 10 minutes on medium heat taking care to stir occasionally to prevent burning. The strategy for frying is to release some of the oils and juices in the peppers. I used plastic gloves for this process.

    2. I added just enough water to cover the sliced peppers and brought the mixture to a boil. Once boiling I reduced the heat to simmer and cooked the peppers for 20 minutes to soften them up. I left the mixture on the stove top to steep for a couple of hours without heat. Then I brought the mixture to a boil again and simmered for nearly an hour to make a soup.

    3. I allowed the peppers to cool for about 30 minutes and used a small hand blender to a make a "habanero and jalapeno" mushy paste.





    4. I mixed up the dry ingredients and ran them through a flour sifter.

    5. I added the eggs to my pepper mush mixture and thoroughly combined them before starting to add the dry ingredients.

    6. I added a little of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mixed them up; and then added a little more; repeating the process until I achieved a consistency that would form a dough ball.



    7. I rolled the boilies in sizes from 12 mm to 22 mm; ending up with 125 boilies total. I used plastic gloves to prevent problems with the habaneros burning my skin.



    8. I brought a pot of water to a rolling boil and then added the dough balls in groups of 10 allowing them to boil for 90 seconds before removing and placing them on cooling racks used for cookies.




    9. I allowed the boilies to cool for several hours before placing in plastic bags for storage. I took great care to make sure they were completely cool so that there was no condensation in the plastic bag during storage.



    This is my first attempt making my own boilies. It wasn't too hard to do. When I make them again I will boil the pepper soup a lot less. The peppers were plenty soft after about 30 minutes. I am afraid the extra cooking loses some of the potency of the peppers.

    Don't ask me why I decided to try the Southern Comfort. I was trying to think of something sweet to add a little extra to the boilies.

    Here is a post I made using these boilies to catch smallmouth buffalo.

    1 comment:

    1. There some ingredients in your recipe I've never used before, thanks for sharing the recipe! Tight Lines, Mike

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for commenting. I have turned on moderation for comments to prevent spam. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible.