Sunday, June 15, 2014

A Sunday Fishing Session at Sterling State Park

I spent the day on the bank fishing for some carp.

Shorting after getting lines in the water at 6:45 a.m. I starting getting action. Lucky for me the action ranged from fast and furious to slow and steady throughout the day.

My first 3 carp were lost to hook pulls and a snag. The fourth fish was a catfish. Numbers five through fifteen were carp of small size. What they lacked in size they more than made up for in feistiness. I didn't weigh all the fish, so the pounds in the captions are estimates.

Here are some pictures from this very successful session.

3 pound catfish
8 pound common carp

9 pounds

8 pounds

Roughly 6 pounds
On Memorial Day I caught the end of the spawning season and the carp were much bigger and more impressive on camera.

A few of these fish surprised me because they fought a lot bigger than their actual size. One in particular just about dragged my entire rod, rod holder, and alarm into the lake. I caught it in the nick of time.

I christened the new carp rods in style! Small or big, I'll take them all.

My ultimate goal of catching my first buffalo wasn't recognized, but my fishing partners caught 3 (one was around 16 pounds.).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I have turned on moderation for comments to prevent spam. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible.