Sunday, November 8, 2015

Improve Your Health, Start Fishing for Carp

By most accounts, I live a fairly sedentary lifestyle. I work indoors. I sit at a desk. My daily work is more mental than physical. At times it's very stressful, but there are no physical aspects to it whatsoever.

When I was several years younger I loved to run, ride my bicycle, walk for miles, play basketball, etc. But that type of activity halted once I had surgery on both of my knees several years ago. Those years of physical activity put a huge strain on my knees and now I have degenerative arthritis in both knees.

But exercise is not always physical. There is also mental exercises that provide fantastic benefits too.

The nature of fishing for carp requires physical exercise, mental exercise and a certain amount of quiet time where you are doing next to nothing while waiting for the fish to take the bait being offered.

As I continued carp fishing into the second year and now as I head into my third year it became clearer and clearer to me that the quiet time means almost as much to me as the time spent fighting and landing fish. I have spent the last several weeks trying to pinpoint what it is about the quiet time that is so attractive.

I now understand that the quiet time on the bank while carp fishing equates to meditation. The benefits of meditation are scientifically proven.

Here is a list of some benefits that I have noticed:
  • Stress reduction
  • Anxiety reduction
  • Improved concentration
  • Decreased blood pressure
  • Better sleeping habits
  • Improved decision making
  • Improved mental strength
  • Improved mood
  • Improved creativity

LiveAndDare.com published an article that lists many more benefits as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I have turned on moderation for comments to prevent spam. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible.