Sunday, June 9, 2019

Kids Fishing Event in Ann Arbor

I assisted at a kids fishing event yesterday in Ann Arbor's Gallup Park from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thanks to Daniel Slaby and Andy Solomon for hosting the event and inviting me. The spot is an area next to a kid's playground and a kayak launch. I chose a spot on the left side of the prebaited area and being that close to activity I witnessed a lot of kids doing what kids do and parents standing by but letting them do it. With that mindset, I had a nice day of fishing.

The little kids could not reel in fish but they enjoyed posing with, holding and touching them. I guess I'd describe my spot as carping's version of a petting zoo.

I was able to help 5 kids reel in fish. One was even a mirror. Several parents came to me and requested that I get them a fish. I'm happy I was successful. Even those with hook pulls learned that fishing has both ups and downs, but there's always a next time.

I even proved that when you have a lot of fish in the swim, 4 kids can be throwing handfuls of rocks directly over your rods casted 20 feet from shore and you can still hook and land fish. I ended with 18 fish. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of the biggest fish, but it definitely made a 12 year old very happy.

Next year I'll bring an assistant for netting and pictures. Doing it alone makes for alot of aches and pains the next day. :-)














No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I have turned on moderation for comments to prevent spam. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible.