Sunday, December 1, 2019

Fly Fishing for Carp

Sometimes the cold weather of late fall and early winter gets expensive.


When temperatures drop into the low 30's and overnight lows get no higher than low 40's for day time highs, carp fishing ceases in my normal carping spots. Lack of fishing means I have some time for research. Lately, I have been looking into fly fishing for carp, smallmouth bass, pike and even muskie if the opportunity arises.

Never having fly fished before, the learning curve will be steep; but any worthy pursuit requires effort. That's what keeps it interesting for me.

My local fly fishing outfitter is about 7 miles away, so I stopped in on Friday afternoon to check it out.

I met some nice guys at Schultz Outfitters who love fly fishing and spent time with me discussing the possibilities and considerations.

I also found a plethora of videos on YouTube to help pass the cold months and help cure my no-fishing-itis.

I would love to find some used equipment to save a few dollars, but I will buy new too. The winter months provide some time to pull together a proper budget for spring fishing.

Based on my trip to Schultz Outfitters the ballpark all in investment is approximately $450 for gear and then $150 for 1-on-1 lessons.

I am not a boat owner, so being restricted to shore fishing and wading-accessible spots should help keep costs down too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I have turned on moderation for comments to prevent spam. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible.