Sunday, February 14, 2021

Muskie Fishing from Shore

I have developed a new interest to learn how to catch musky fish from the shoreline this year.

I started out watching muskie fishing videos on YouTube. WinCity Outdoors has some great videos of fishermen catching muskie from the shoreline at Lake St. Clair and Detroit River.

I thought carp fishing was expensive, but compared to carp fishing it's very affordable.

To make a long story short, I bought an Okuma Komodo reel and a 9' Chaos SWAT XtraHeavy muskie rod. Then I bought some rubber lures. Musky lures can range in price from about $8 to $200 each. They can range from 2 oz to 16 oz (or more).

Okuma Komodo SS 364

Fishing for muskie requires a good reel. I selected a 300 series reel with stainless gears. Casting big baits, sometimes double bladed, requires a very durable reel. Top musky reels sell for $400 and even more.

Getting fish landed and released is key to good fish care, so a rod with backbone is a necessity.

I ordered the Chaos 9' SWOT Xtra Heavy telescopic muskie rod. It's a much stiffer rod than I use carp fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I have turned on moderation for comments to prevent spam. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible.