Saturday, June 19, 2021

Budget Carp Rods and Reels

I caught 10 carp today using what is probably the most economical combination of carp rod and baitrunner reel available on the market - the NGT Carp Stalker rod and Okuma Carbonite baitrunner. 

I haven't priced them specifically for purchase but after a couple of Google searches it appears you can get the combo brand new for $60-$65 not including shipping costs. 

The rod's 2.0 test curve is fine casting 2 oz. leads and packbait up to 40 yds. The reels were spooled with 30# braid and were able to do the job okay-ish. The reels are rated at 12#s of drag pressure I believe, which might be enough in clear, weedless, and snagless lakes and small rivers/creeks. The reels show their weaknesses quickly with heavy weed and/snags such as submerged tree branches. I had to apply manual drag with my hand to help compensate while fighting several fish today. 

I would rate the rods as "good" for an economical price. They are decent stalking rods. I would rate the reels as "fair", due to lack of drag pressure while fishing in heavy weed beds.

This combination is a decent option for a kids' setup or quick hit and go sessions.

Common Carp


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I have turned on moderation for comments to prevent spam. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible.