Saturday, September 11, 2021

My Continuing Struggle With Rude Boaters

The trials and tribulations of a carp fisherman (continued)

I headed out fishing this morning at O' Dark Thirty to one of my favorite fall fishing spots. The park supposedly opens at dawn, but after a few phone calls to the city offices, police department, and (after pressing zero), the Oakland County Dispatchers office who actually logged a non-emergency call to the local police station, frustration ensued. After wasting 2 hours, we gave up and headed to a second location 20 minutes away. 

We set up to fish and kept noticing boats rolling into the parking lot. If you guessed that I had another run in with a group of boaters, you're right. I confronted one who ran over my line and beached his boat about 20 feet from my rods. I let him know that either I have the worst luck with boaters or boaters in general are out to get me. He didn't apologize or anything, which seems to be typical of the boaters I've run across. 

On the way out of the park I ran into the DNR Officer. I explained what happened and she promised to make a visit to them and talk about it. I explained to her that I expect careless behavior from young, inexperienced boaters, but these guys were retired folks, experienced boaters, and driving antique boats. Bottom line, they should have known better.

Michigan Carp
Yours truly on a happier day of fishing

I would like to see more respect from boaters towards shore fishermen. Sometimes I get the feeling that boaters look down upon and consider shore fishermen "lesser" somehow. I can only base this view on how I have been treated by boaters. I am sure not all boaters fall into this category.

I am continually surprised and confused by the actions of boaters on lakes that I fish. My impression of the reasons someone decides to buy a boat in the first place have been turned on their head recently. I have always thought that a boat is purchased to fish out in the water, away from shore, but time-and-time again I see boaters actually beaching their boats on the shoreline rather than piloting them out in the actual body of water that they are designed to navigate. 

My suggestions and observations for boaters from a non-boater point of viewpoint:

  • If you launch your boat, then enjoy your boat out on the lake away from shore. 
  • I see little need to launch a boat and then immediately land it on the shore. 
  • When you are out boating, be on the look out for people fishing along the shoreline.
  • There is zero need or reason for you to land your boat along the shoreline within 20 feet of shoreline fishermen, yet I continue to see it done over and over, time and time again.
For boaters that continue doing these things, I can only assume that you really do have some type of vendetta against shoreline fishermen.
  • Do boaters automatically assume they are superior because they are driving a boat?
  • Do boaters see themselves at a higher social level, or as members of some "wealthy" group?
  • Do boaters assume that shoreline fishermen are somehow in a an inferior social class or of lower financial means because they choose to fish from shore?
If that is the case, I'd be willing to compare my savings and checking accounts, 401K balance, HSA balance, mortgage account balance, automotive loan balances, and annual income with any boater that does feel this way. I am sure you might be surprised.

In a nutshell...please DO BETTER.

2 comments:

  1. I recently purchased a used 16ft pontoon boat which I am planning to use for carp fishing. I will at times use it for getting to places that I would like to fish on the shore, but because of my age and back problems, are difficult to reach on foot. I did just that this past weekend and beached the boat near where I was fishing. I do understand what you are saying though, because I have observed many boaters that seem to ignore the fact that people are fishing from shore. Especially Jet Ski's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your boat.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I have turned on moderation for comments to prevent spam. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible.