Sunday, January 24, 2016

Promoting Carp Fishing

I am writing this post as a "report card" or "editorial" or "opinion piece". Some who read it might not agree. Some might not like the post at all. I am taking that risk with the hope that my words might help change attitudes and help the growth of the sport.

I have been writing this blog, sharing pictures, tips, information about equipment, etc. for more than 2 years. I don't have a lot of regular readers yet, but that is also not surprising because compared to other types of fishing; carp fishing in the U.S. is still in it's infancy. I am fairly sure that a blog about Michigan bass fishing would have more readers. But I believe in carp fishing and I keep writing, keep teaching and keep sharing.


A picture of scales weighing a small mouth buffalo
I have been thinking a lot about how to promote carp fishing to more people, get more people out on the banks fishing for them, and remove some of the stigma that exists with guys and gals that have fished primarily for bass, bluegill, walleye, and catfish.

A lot of people who fish for carp talk about growing the sport, teaching more people how to catch carp, and promoting carp as a sport fish. In my 3 years of focus on species angling for common carp I have heard it 100's if not 1,000's of times, which I applaud, but I haven't seen a lot of people follow through by taking action on those desires.

I think there is a tendency to say we want growth of the sport; we want respect for carp; we want them regarded as a worthwhile sport fish on the level of bass or walleye; but what have we done to actually help that happen.

Sometimes rather than share the sport with others who mention an interest in carp fishing things are kept close to the vest. The specific techniques, equipment, baits, lakes, rivers and streams are a closely guarded secret. That is something I haven't seen as much with bass fishing. Bass fishermen I have known and do know are fairly open about the lakes they fish and the baits they use. There are probably close to 25 or 30 weekly television programs about bass fishing on at least 10 or 15 different cable TV channels. This free sharing of information has promoted bass fishing and allowed it to grow and prosper.

If we want carp fishing to prosper at that level, then we need to open up the doors and bring carp fishing out into the open with more vigor.

To demonstrate what I am referring to, I am reminded of an example from last year when I posted some pictures taken during a recent fishing trip on a "secret" closed Facebook page focused singularly on carp fishing. Within two or three minutes I received a private message asking me to remove the pictures from Facebook because the particular spot was a place where other carp fisherman have also caught fish. I was asked to "safeguard" the location of this public park as a "secret" because other carp fishermen have at some point fished in the same park at some time in the past.

I was pretty upset by the request. I was asked to keep carp fishing "quiet" at that location because someone else might go to that public park and catch a carp. This park has yielded some 30 pound carp in prior years, so I was being asked to keep the secret presumably so someone else might not go there and catch a big carp.


A day on the banks of the Rouge River last spring
So please, if you are serious about promoting carp fishing to the masses, share your information (and yes, some of your fishing tips and secrets), so that others may also begin enjoying the sport.

The counter argument of course is that bow fisherman may go to that public park and shoot a trophy sized carp. True. That is a risk, but bow fisherman already know where the trophy carp are. That sport is promoted. Secrets are shared. Big money corporate sponsors host large events with large prize money for bow fishing. So if we want carp fishing as a sport to grow and reach those levels, we need more people fishing for them to create a bigger voice to curtail or place some limits on the bow fishing and unlimited killing of trophy carp.

Keeping carp fishing a secret is actually counterproductive in that regard. Bass fishing has a large voice because they have large membership organizations that mobilize and influence regulations, corporate sponsors, advertisers, and televisions producers by providing eyeballs who watch programs. They didn't grow those bass fishing organizations by keeping bass fishing a secret.

But if the real goal is keeping the trophy carp to yourselves. Keep the sport in the shadows and limited to a small fraternity of people, then by all means; continue to keep it secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I have turned on moderation for comments to prevent spam. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible.