Saturday, July 9, 2022

Detroit River Shoreline Fishing

The northeast wind today made carp fishing a challenge on the Detroit River. 

Weeds in summer are a nuisance on a good day, but the wind direction made fishing from the west bank frustrating at times.

I still managed to land some common carp this morning. 


There are perch and walleye rigs all over the river bed in this area. There's nothing like reeling in to rebait and finding hooks, rigs, weedless hooks, etc. on the line as well.

Luckily, the 50# braid we use makes it simple enough to rip through those.

I developed a technique of taking up any slack in the line, then tightening the drag, and next pulling straight up with force to rid the line of weeds and break through the wads of monofilament and end tackle. 

My grandpa used to call stuff like that, "someone else's headache", which is an accurate description.

Why Do I Like Shore Fishing?

I don't have a boat. I don't have space to store a boat. And, although I have money to a boat, maintaining the boat, fueling, transporting, buying a tow vehicle, etc. is not something I am willing to spend money on. 

I don't need all those items. 

For about $250 I can buy the items I need to start catching fish weighing 15 - 20 pounds from shore, without a boat.

I spent many days of my youth in Missouri fishing fresh-water locations catching bluegill, perch and bass. None of those fish come close to averaging 15 - 20 pounds.

If I'm going to catch fish - let them be BIG fish!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I have turned on moderation for comments to prevent spam. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible.