Sunday, July 10, 2022

Best Fishing Line for Carp Fishing Beginners

Last weekend I spent some time at Meijer looking at options for beginning carp fishing anglers. Today I stopped at Walmart to survey their options.

As expected, Walmart had a much bigger selection of rods, reels, and tackle. 

I was looking for Quantum rod and reel combos, but didn't find any.

The selection of fishing line was very impressive.


They had lots of PowerPro braid in stock and monofilament in 15 - 20# sizes that would work for carp fishing.

The selection of rods and reels are also fairly impressive with several catfish combo options and Ugly Stik choices.

If buying a combo, verify how much line is on the reel. I would verify the reel holds at least 120 yds of line suitable for carp fishing.

What Fishing Line Do I Personally Use?

I like 50# PowerPro. Some feel it's overkill and it might be for catching catfish. As a carp fisherman who has caught carp up to 37#'s. I also fish in waters with lots of snags. A lighter line may break easier in these snaggy conditions. 

Almost every time I go carp fishing I end up snagged on objects in the water. The strength of PowerPro provides the capability to retrieve the lead and other tackle. 

Although the hook sometimes bends when it releases, at least I get my $4.00 leads back. I can either rebend and reshape the 50 cent hook or replace it. It's 50 cents vs. $4.00.

The braided fishing line doesn't "give" or "stretch" like monofilament line does. This provides more control and the ability to fish with lighter drag, which is important to me when carp fishing because carp have a very tender month unlike other sport fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I have turned on moderation for comments to prevent spam. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible.