Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Flavor Testing

A little guy
I've been fishing exclusively for carp during the last 12 months. Until last weekend I had always used a flavor dip on my hook bait immediately prior to casting. I used both pineapple and fruity flavored dips. Since I have always used them I was unsure whether not using them would cause my fish count to decrease.

For Sunday's session I omitted the dip flavoring in favor of a pineapple amino flavor spray. The spray is convenient and doesn't create the mess that the dip does, which is more of a syrup. But would it work just as well?

I caught 9 carp in 5 hours. The last time I fished that venue I caught 13 carp in 7 hours. The syrup flavor dip yielded 1.86 carp per hour of fishing. The spray flavoring yielded 1.8 carp per hour. I'd call that a very similar comparison.

The sample size is still relatively small. It would be interesting to do the same test over a time span of 24 hours or 100 hours of fishing and see if the ratios remain the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I have turned on moderation for comments to prevent spam. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible.