Monday, October 20, 2014

Looking For a New Personal Best Today

It's late October, the autumn leaves are falling, and the morning temperatures are lower and lower each week. That means two things: 1) winter's on the way, 2) chances of catching a bigger than average sized carp are improved.

The view from my fishing spot today

I took this picture shortly after getting everything set up today

A view to the right of my fishing position today

A view toward the left of my position

I had the day off from work and had three things on my mind as I headed out to my favorite fishing hole near Lake Erie: 1) spending the day relaxing by the lake recharging my batteries and enjoying the day outside, 2) catching a new personal best common carp (25 pounds or greater for me), and 3) catching a buffalo carp (I've never caught one).

I chose a new spot (for me) that has yielded some nice numbers of carp with good size in recent weeks. I normally fish a different spot near the parking lot, but today I fished the opposite side.

Sunrise is around 7:30 a.m. this week; shortly after I arrived. I walked to the spot in the dark and starting sitting up with the goal to have bait hitting the water shortly after sunrise. I got the nets set up, landing mat situated, sling positioned, and 3 rods in the water by 8:03. 

The first fish was landed before 9:00 tipping the scales at more than 15 pounds on the middle rod.

15 pounds

My second fish today hit the landing mat before 9:30 weighing more than 22 pounds on the right rod.

22 pounds

I was on cloud nine at that point because the average size was looking pretty good.

I caught a few more fish between 9:45 and noon with the alarms chirping regularly about every 35 - 40 minutes.

Most of the action was coming from my left and center rods at that point.

At noon I re-baited all three rods and then had a snack for lunch. The weather was sunny and warming up. Experience tells me that the chances for catching carp improve with those conditions. I was hopeful and confident something big was just around the corner.

I was right!

The alarm on my right rod went off just after noon. I picked up and immediately knew it was a special fish. That rod was spooled with mono and as I started the retrieve I could feel the stretch in the line. I kept the rod tip up and tried to remain calm. I didn't want to lose the fish by trying too hard.The fight progressed and I gained a little ground.

Most of the fish today would immediately take off and try to get away darting right or left immediately. This fish did not take that approach. It felt like I'd hooked a snag in the water at that point. In fact, I thought I lost the fish but slow and sure the fish made it's way toward me little by little.

Calmly and slowly the fish yielded and approached closer and closer. About 50 feet from shore it found some energy and decided to try a little harder. With strong winds causing a left to right current on the lake most of the fish today darted right, but not this guy....he headed left into the current.

Another indication that I did not want to lose this fish.

It swam against the current with ease indicating it was bigger and heavier than the others I caught so far. I passed the rod under the middle rod to prevent a tangle and then under the left rod as the fish headed for shallow water on the left side.

I grabbed the net and tried to position it so the fish would swim into it. No luck, because when the fish saw the net he swam in the opposite direction back to the right and took out some more line. I could see the fish at this point and all the indications were correct - it was by far the biggest fish I have ever hooked and it would definitely shatter my 24 pound 10 ounce personal best caught 200 yards down the bank earlier this spring.

The fish was in pretty close and shallow at this point, which is always dangerous and high risk of a hook pull. I maneuvered the net again so that fish would swim into it. The fish was 4 feet from home at that point and my heart was really pumping; hopeful to get the fish in the sling, on the mat, and hooked up to the scales.

And then, everything went wrong....the 15 pound test Big Game monofilament broke off. It was a clean break-off. No hook pull, no line cut...a true break off. And just like that it was over. No fish, no new personal best, nadda; just a story to tell about experience and knowledge that the big fish have decided to come out to play this fall.

I fished 2 more hours and hooked a few more common carp; unfortunately none were even half the size of the one I lost.

Here are a few pictures of those I did capture:







Sorry none of the fish today were properly posed, but my regular photographer had to work today.

I also got to try out my new fishing net today. This Ranger Big Game rubberized net did the job today.

Ranger Big Game landing net

All of the fish today were caught on corn tipped with a piece of fake corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I have turned on moderation for comments to prevent spam. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible.