Friday, October 23, 2020

People I Meet Carp Fishing

This post marks the beginning of a new feature here on the Michigan Carp Fishing blog. It will be a running post providing some details and insight into people I meet while carp fishing.

There's something about fishing, which brings out the friendly in people. From casual passersby who ask the obvious "Have you caught anything today?" to comments about the carp fishing tackle and gear I use like "You sure have a positive attitude based on the size of the net and rods you're using."

I've met some characters along the way. Some I'd like to forget, and some I just can't.

I meet a lot of people walking their dogs. At Lake Erie, a gentleman stopped by to inquire about whether I had caught any fish. During our conversation, he shared that he retired from several jobs, and one paid a low $59.00 a month pension. He took social security at 64 1/2. His wife died a few years ago. Now it's just him and his little dog navigating the days, trying to cure boredom by taking short trips out of the house when the weather is good. The little dog reminds me of a lot of "Snoopy, " one of my favorite cartoon characters as a seven or 8-year-old. At 91, the gentleman is driving himself, living alone, fishing regularly, and spending a lot of time boating on Lake Erie when his son has the time to take him along.

Then there was the time I met a guy 6'5" who caught a sturgeon 7' long on an 8' medium action catfish rod 6' from the fishing pier at John Dingell Park in Ecorse. A couple of other guys in the park that day helped him unhook the fish and take a few pictures. And before you chalk that description up to a "fish story," I will add that he had the pictures to prove it. He was lying beside the sturgeon, and it was indeed longer than he was tall! They returned it to the water as quickly as possible, but I can't imagine the effort it took to pull the 150# fish out of the water up onto the walkway. They assured me that the fish swam away with no issues, but it's too bad they couldn't have let the fish remain in the water while they snapped a couple of pictures and finished removing the hook. If you happen to catch a sturgeon someday, please treat it with care. A fish of that size is likely several decades old!

Jehovah's Witnesses have approached me countless times to invite me to services.

A financial services salesman representing the Michigan Education Association (MEA) spent 45 minutes talking about mutual funds, pension benefits, and long term insurance options.

A couple of summers ago, while fishing in Trenton, a 20-something young man from the local neighborhood stopped by on his bicycle to check-in. Over the course of the next couple of hours, he filled us in on the details of his "love life" and described some of the bullying he received. That was a first for me, fishing or not fishing. I'll try to be a better listener if there is ever a next time. 

If I had a dollar for every time someone asked me if I eat the carp I catch, I could take my wife out to dinner and a movie two or three times. And the looks I get when answering no are something to see. Most people can't understand why I fish for something I have no intention of eating. What can I say? I'm a catch, photo, and release fisherman.

I have encountered countless Ford retirees, contractors, and vendors. One of them who lives in Melvindale paddled his kayak down the Rouge River, down the Detroit River, and along the shoreline of Lake Erie to Cleveland on a week's vacation trip a couple of years ago. He said he camped on the shoreline a few nights along the way.



I made friends with an 87-year-old at the Rouge River, who depends on catching catfish for many of his meals throughout the year. He worked 19 years at two different companies, and they alternated between layoffs, rehiring, and part time work so that he would not become eligible for pension benefits at either company. He lives on $753 a month from Social Security and proceeds from metal scraps he can scavenge and sell for cash. We have provided him at least 100 pounds of catfish in the past three years. It's not a lot, but it helps out.

In Toledo I met a father catching minnows and shiners for flathead bait as he prepared for a 72-hour catfish marathon. I talked to a gentleman who worked 23 years at Chrysler who stopped by to check out the fishing on the Maumee during his vacation day. And I met a husband and wife team who caught 75 pounds of catfish in 6 hours for a family fish fry back in Michigan.

On a cold spring day at Lake Erie in March, a lady stopped by my spot for a visit, but I quickly learned she had more on her mind than fishing. After a few minutes, she peeked her head around the corner of the Sportbrella and was greeted by my smiling wife. Busted! 

I'm always a little surprised when others fishing nearby asks to borrow a net to land their fish. It's a pretty prevalent occurrence when river fishing from a pier or raised walkway. Of course, I am always willing to oblige the requests. But I would offer a tip that fishing a venue that provides an opportunity to hook fish greater than 3 or 4 pounds regularly suggests that a net is necessary for proper fish care.

Several years ago, while fishing a trendy lake spot close to home, I ran into a first class selfish dude that ended up being the rudest fisherman (or non-fisherman) I have ever encountered. They were a pair of fishing bullies. I happened to be set up in his favorite spot. Unfortunately, he and his friend didn't arrive until 11 o'clock. By that time, I had been there fishing for 4 1/2 hours. One of the pair decided to cast a line over two of my lines. A tangle ensued and an awkward period of untangling the lines followed. A few minutes later, he re-casted and in the process haphazardly "tripped over" and kicked my rods that are sitting on rod holders about 10' apart. I began to get the message at that point - he's decided I MUST leave. Since they had a 2-to-1 advantage, I had to give in, but it still does not sit well with me to this day. Sadly, the days of sportsmanship and fair play are declining.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I have turned on moderation for comments to prevent spam. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible.