Friday, October 16, 2020

Trio of Carp Catches

I caught a three common carp today. Windy conditions made it a tough go all around. 

The clouds really affect the bite sometimes too in this swim. Almost every time the sun peered around the clouds after noon, I got runs. The wind made it next to impossible to keep a tight line with the waves.

I have really grown to like these types of days though. They build confidence. A few years ago I would have avoided fishing in bad conditions, but it allows you more space and the parks completely to yourself, which is a big bonus. When it's bad and you catch, the catches mean so much more.

The last 2 fish were caught with completely slack lines in what had to be 25 mph winds, or more at times. 

This swim is full of weed beds that add to the challenge, making it even harder to cast past them in the wind.



When fishing in high winds, I think it's best to attempt to position yourself with the wind at your back.

If that is not possible, then I prefer to cast directly into the wind. This can be challenging. If you normally fish close to the bank casting 3 oz. lead and 5 oz. (or more) of pack bait into a heavy wind at distance isn't easy. It takes a well rehearsed technique.

If neither positions are possible, then I try to cast at an angle into the wind as much as I can. This helps, but there will still likely be a bow in the line. It's not perfect, but you can still catch. It's a matter of confidence. Fishing in poor conditions helps hone valuable carp fishing skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I have turned on moderation for comments to prevent spam. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible.