Monday, June 27, 2022

Black and White Fish Photos

 


Black and white photos put more emphasis on the fish, carp in my case, and less on the post-processing skills and apps to adjust the colors, exposure, sharpness, etc. to get perfect results in color photos.

Most fish photos result from the personal preferences of the person doing the processing. 

Some like deep rich colors, sharp edges, and higher contrast while others focus on filters to simplify the process deferring the results to the various algorithms used to let the software do the heavy lifting and "settle" for someone else's version of photography. This is known as "computational photography". It's built in on most Smartphone cameras and apps now.

Black and white format adds some simplicity back to fishing photos. It's not a contest to see who has the better phone app, mirrorless camera, or DSLR. 

It shouldn't take a week to process fishing photos and post them on the internet. I enjoy sharing my photos, but if I can't make the photo presentable in two minutes or less, I probably won't post it at all, or I'll convert it black and white.

Simple just works sometimes.


The trend among many photographers is to "push" or "under expose" photos to darken them. This technique suppresses details in the photo. 

I prefer the opposite in my photos. An appropriate exposure or even slight "under exposure" brings out more details in black and white photo formats.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I have turned on moderation for comments to prevent spam. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible.