Sunday, September 21, 2014

Catching Carp, River Rouge Michigan

We headed out this morning to try a new spot. The big fish haven't yet arrived at the normal spot, so I thought today would offer an opportunity to fish some new waters. Chances of rain are also near 90%, so I decided to stick a little closer to home.

We found a nice spot with shore access and were set-up by 8:20 a.m.

I got the first 2 rods in quickly. While working on the 3rd rod, the first rod got a run. By the time I set everything down and walked to pick it up, the run stopped. I tightened the line a little and returned to cast the 3rd rod. Before I could cast, the first rod got a run again. I set the 3rd rod down and before I could pick up the first rod the run stopped. I hesitated a few seconds, but picked it up anyway and cranked it a few times. I had a fish on!

It turned out to be a little guy, but little guys grow up to be big guys someday so I enjoy catching them just the same.

3 pound common carp

Within 30 minutes, I had a second fish.

6 pound common carp

The rain clouds moved in and out for the next 2 hours. There were several false alarms with the rain starting and stopping; starting and stopping. We had a few more mini runs, but no more fish were caught.

When the fish weren't biting, Linda found a way to entertain herself at my expense.

Funny


And here I am surveying the situation

A bank of nasty looking clouds rolled in so we called a day shortly before noon.

Bank side view of today's spot near the Rouge River

If the weather cooperates, I'll be out fishing again tomorrow somewhere.

Hopefully, I don't go anywhere that looks like this:

This Rough River tributary was looking pretty rough this morning
after the strong rains last night.

The possibilities for productive carp fishing here in Michigan are plentiful. Someday I'll head back out to this spot when things calm down a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I have turned on moderation for comments to prevent spam. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible.