Monday, September 22, 2014

Fantastic Day at Ford Lake

I had today off from work and spent it at a local lake with a large population of common carp. This was my 3rd day of fishing out of the last 4 days. Here in Michigan it's going to get cold soon, so I want to spent as much time as possible fishing while the weather is still cooperating.

I caught so many fish I lost count. I didn't get pictures of all of them, because the action was fast and furious for 90 minutes or so. I would land one and immediately get another run. I had three doubles today and couldn't keep up with all the fish. I lost 2 fish in the process of landing those doubles. But one of the doubles stands out above any of the doubles I've landed. Check out the pictures below and see if you can tell which fish I'm talking about.


17 pounds
Release
Close-up Swim Away

One of many I took after my photographer had to leave
In the net
Another after my photographer left
Another net shot
15 pounds
My first mirror carp, 14 pounds
 I have seen people catch mirrors at Ford Lake, but after catching 60 - 70 common carp from the lake this is my first mirror carp. This was the first fish caught during a double run. I wish I'd had more time to enjoy my catch, but the alarms were screaming.

If it hadn't been for another fisherman who snapped this picture for me, I might not have been able to land this nice specimen. I was trying to land 2 fish at once. Luckily, this one didn't get away.

Another net shot landed shortly after the mirror above. This was the smallest fish caught today.

The day ended with another double run and I landed them both.
 As I started to pack up supplies to leave I caught these two commons during a double run. The larger fish tipped the scales at 15 pounds.


12 pounds
That last picture was taken earlier in the day and was the 2nd fish I caught today. I really like the scale pattern on this fish.

Overall today will go down as one of the best days of carp fishing I've ever had. I've caught more numbers before, but all but two of these fish were caught after my helper/photographer left for the day.

It was good to meet one of my readers who happened to be fishing nearby today. He landed some doubles today as well. Between the two of us I think we caught 20 - 25 carp today.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like I took the mirror picture a bit low. I apologize, I wasn't seeing too much on your phone display when I took the picture. I had a double yesterday, a 17 pounder and a 22 pounder, and at one point I called for help but luckily I landed both at the same time. Looking forward to see you again on the lake :) It was a pleaseure, sorry I couldn't talk to you a lot but I was getting bite after bite. It was crazy

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem. I'm just glad you were there to take the picture. A 22 pounder is a big fish for Ford Lake. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I have turned on moderation for comments to prevent spam. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible.