Saturday, September 27, 2014

New Personal Best for Linda - 24 lbs 2 oz

It was a wonderful fall day in Michigan and we headed out to our favorite big carp fishing hole today near Lake Erie. I arrived at 7 a.m., got things set-up and had 3 rods in by 8 a.m. Linda joined me about 9 a.m. Her rod went in shortly after arriving rigged up with her favorite bait -- a pineapple flavored pink pop-up dumbbell.

Up to then I had 2 hook-ups, but landed neither.

We were down to 3 alarms, so Linda's rod rested on an inexpensive rod holder from Wal-Mart. Those rod holders work well (I used them all last year exclusively), but the downside is a need to keep a close eye on things to make sure you don't miss any carp runs.

It didn't take long for Linda to get a run. It started innocently enough. Linda was gaining ground quickly. Then the fish moved a little to right. It looked like it would tangle with my left rod, but then the fish turned back to the left. Linda kept reeling. The fish turned right again and did in fact tangle with the line on my left rod.

At that point I grabbed the net and put it in the water. The fish was nearing the net, but decided to make a hard right turn again and actually tangled with the line on my middle rod. Not content to make a mess with two of my lines, he made a hard left and then swam straight toward the bank looking like he aimed to "beach" himself.

He flopped a few times doing his best to escape the hook, but by that time I had the net in position and secured him. It was a very nice fish and I knew right away that Linda had just caught her new personal best common carp on her pink dumbbell pop-up bait.


Linda can't pose the fish very well, so I am posing this one for her - 24 pounds 2 ounces.

Here's a picture of the release for the big boy.

I caught a small 9 pound common carp a little later I the day.

My little 9 pound fish was tiny compared to Linda's catch
 

This sling from Resistance Tackle has been one of my favorite purchases and work very well
 
A here's a shot Linda took while I returned the 9 pounder to the water


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I have turned on moderation for comments to prevent spam. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible.