Monday, September 29, 2014

How to Tie a Uni Knot - Big Game to Power Pro

9/29/14 Update: Well, the uni knot test ended poorly yesterday. The knot failed and I lost my hook, inline lead, hair rig, etc. I was not casting anything heavier than normal. The knot held up for 10 or so casts, but eventually failed. :-(

9/27/14 Update: I tested my strategy of fusing the 15 pound test Trilene Big Game to 30 yards of 50 pound test Power Pro yesterday. It casted pretty well and I landed a nice 9 pounder on it. As I need to replace the Power Pro on my other reels, I'm going to use this strategy. Instead of 4 new spools annually and occasional replacement spools of Power Pro throughout the year, using the Big Game in conjunction with the Power Pro should save me $150 - $200 a year.


 
 
I just finished spooling up a test reel with 225 yards of 15 pound test Trilene Big Game monofilament fused with a uni knot to 30 yards of Power Pro braided line. I think I may have put on too much monofilament and not left enough room for the Power Pro. If the first try doesn't work, I'll just make adjustments and try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I have turned on moderation for comments to prevent spam. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible.